Let’s see what we remember from our road trip to San Ildefonso.
Archaeologists believe that Native Americans may have first used the pump drill to make fires. The pump drill produces heat from friction as it spins against a piece of wood.
These are pencil drawing by Millicent Rogers to go with a story she wrote for her young sons. The story “The Mermaid and the Prince” is based on “The Little Mermaid” by Hans Christen Anderson.
These Mermaid characters will be used throughout this website to indicate a entryway into new pages, quizzes and games designed around the chapter you are currently reviewing.
In 1725, the settlement that was originally called Las Trampas de Taos became the permanent Spanish settlement called Ranchos de Taos. In 1760 Rachoes de Taos, also called Taos “Old Town”, was attacked by Comanche Native Americans.
In 1772 a mission church was begun. Between 1796 and 1797, land from the Don Fernando de Taos Land Grant was given to 63 Spanish families. In 1815 the San Francisco de Asis Mission Church was completed.
The plaza is the original location of the village of Ranchos de Taos, built in the late 1770s. In 1776, Francisco Atanasio Domínguez wrote that “the settlement consists of scattered ranchos, and their owners are the citizens who live in the pueblo.” At that time, Ranchos de Taos was the largest Spanish settlement in the Taos Valley. It is believed the fortified plaza was built by 1780 when Juan Agustin de Morfi wrote that “the settlement forms a square plaza, very capricious. Its houses were almost finished in 1779 with towers at proportionate distances for their defense.” The plaza included an observation platforms in round towers and torreones for defense.